Resource: Starting Your Den
Here’s something which may be of help for the new leader:
Top 10 – “Things to get done”
- Get contact information for Cub Master, Chair, Chartered Organization Representative (The person who talks to the Pastor or Chairman of the PTA), and every family in your den.
- Get the Pack’s calendar from the Cub Master or Chair. Bring it to the parents’ meeting.
- Tell everyone you meet in Scouting that you need a Den Chief until an older boy volunteers to help you.
- Have a parents’ meeting. Decide how often, when, where you’ll meet (anyplace it’s safe).
- Place meeting ideas on the schedule until it’s full, align with the pack meetings.
- The Den Leader presents the program at each meeting, assisted by everyone.
- Each scouts parent chooses meetings from the schedule in rotation until done. Save two meetings for reserve.
- The boys will always be busy, bring something fun for them to do while waiting for the meeting to start.
- Communicate everything to everyone, all the time. Use online tools, whatever is necessary.
- Your first meeting should be ACTIVE! One suggestion is to take the den through the Bobcat badge requirements in the form of a sing-a-long. Keep them moving, add a fun activity and a reward for earning that Bobcat. Make a big deal at the next Pack meeting to recognize your new Bobcats.
By Mark Ford (Tiger Leader Mentor 2014-2016)